- Created: Tuesday, 21 November 2017 14:53
Here are HMRC’s Top 10 excuses from last year for late tax returns– You’ll be glad to know that “the dog ate it” makes a welcome return, but what was the Number One reason?
In reverse order:
10. Sorry, but the postman doesn’t actually deliver to my address
9. My internet was broken
8. It’s my husband’s fault – he told me the deadline isn’t until 31 March
7. One of my workmates borrowed my return to photocopy…..and lost it
6. I couldn’t send it in as my child drew all over it
5. My husband left me…..with the accountant. I’m now trying to find a new accountant. [No mention of finding a new husband, though!]
4. The dog ate it!! [And it was a hungry dog as the excuse also claimed the dog ate all the reminders as well.]
3. My wife helps me do it but she had a headache….for ten days
2. There was a wasp in my car and it caused an accident, destroying the car and the tax return
And, this year’s Number One is…..
1. My tax return was on my yacht…..which caught fire!!!